Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review: Suddenly a Bride by Ruth Ann Nordin

I went on a buying spree last night in the free book section on my Kindle app for my iPhone, and bought a large amount in the romance section. Seventeen to be exact. My mind was dancing over amount I now had to read. I have been told that no one likes to read at much as I do, so of course my inner bookworm was excited to get started. I picked this book because it was the one book I was most excited about reading. The description made me giddy with excitement.

Now, I normally ignore the review sections on the books, mostly because I have been fooled more than once about a book because of those. Sometimes they are accurate, other times, they are not. These reviews were not wrong. Some of them were a little harsh, but they were not wrong. I also normally ignore the descriptions once I get about half-way through, because they are usually not accurate as well.

I was expecting the book to be something completely different. I was looking forward to having this wonderful science-fiction romance that talked about two worlds that had a pact to marry between worlds and dealing with the arrangements of it. From the first part of the description, I was hooked, so I clicked without reading the rest of it since it was free.

I will say this, for a free book, it was a good read. I have read much much worse for free. The beginning started off really well, and the first chapter was great. When I hit the female version of the story, that is where I felt a little muddled. She is in our time, not the future. And she just trusted him when he stated he was from another world. I mean, there were circumstances that made the main characters do the nasty in the back of the van, but still. The fact he had to deal with her family was cute and how he dealt with them was okay. The mother was pushy like most, and he gave in because yea he didn't know how to deal with women since he did not have women on his home planet. He did get a job but why didn't the Air Force ask for his credentials that did not come with things the "wish" place gave him. It seemed kind of silly honestly.

The one thing I had the most issues with was the "bonding" ceremony and how they magically were married. Everything on her planet changed to her now "husband"s name, and no one questioned it. Her boss was pissed about it, but he did not even blink an eye other than to ask when she got married. Seriously, a small diner with very little employees, the boss has to know about their lives. Come on my manager at Taco Bell knew my grades when I was in college. He seemed to like her well enough he should have known. Her friend was really accepting about it too. It was like everyone took a crazy pill and followed along with each other.

I really wish this was a better book. She seems to write really well and I will probably see if I can find some decent books that she might have written. I say go ahead and get this book as a fun little read if you don't think about it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment